MoezArt Productions began in the fall of 2000 when some parents asked Sharon Moe to teach a Speech & Debate class. Drama was added the following year and in the Spring of 2003 came the first musical, You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown. It was an incredible success!
What started as one class with 16 students has now grown into six areas of Phoenix, ten instructors, and over 150 students valley-wide! We are excited to see how God is going to continue to grow and use MoezArt Productions to glorify Him and make an eternal difference in the lives of its students across the Valley and beyond!
Our Vision, Mission and Values
Our vision is to “Glorify God Through the Arts”.
Our mission states that, “We provide quality, Christ-centered arts education to the homeschool community.”
These seven core values capture the culture and ethos of this organization. We are a Christ-Honoring, Community-Minded, Personal, Positive, Collaborative, Quality, and Creative organization.
Christ-Honoring – Because we strive to serve the Lord, we choose theatre content and delivery choices which glorify God through the arts, producing curriculum and production outcomes that reflect our love of Jesus and a God-honoring worldview. (Colossians 3:23-24)
Community-Minded –Because we value the body of Christ in its entirety, we value like-minded, wholesome relationships, both inside and outside of the classrooms and rehearsals. As such, we will demonstrate respect, humility, and love in all settings. (Philippians 2:1-4)
Personal – Because each person has infinite value as one fearfully and wonderfully made by our Creator, we seek to maximize personal and professional growth opportunities for all participants through mentoring relationships and character-building approaches. (Psalm 139:14; Philippians 2:1-4)
Positive – Because we value the work that God has done, and is doing in each person, we are committed to providing consistently safe and productive environments for learning, work, and productions, resulting in a positive and beneficial experience for every participant. (Psalm 139:14; Philippians 2:1-4)
Collaborative – Because we celebrate the unique gifts, talents, and abilities of each participant, we value a teamwork approach of cooperative and supportive fellowship and expectations in our program, demonstrating a spirit of flexibility, adaptability, and a desire to constantly improve. (Ephesians 4:1-16; Philippians 2:1-4)
Quality – Because we pursue excellence in every program and production, we offer a theatre education and an experience of distinction, creating opportunities to challenge and to build confidence for both life skills and development in the arts. (Colossians 3:23-24)
Creative – Because we place our trust in an everlasting God who is both Creator and creative, and because the Creator has breathed His creativity into His creation, we are intentional to cultivate the capacity to create with imagination and skill in all areas of life. (Isaiah 40:28)
Our Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, Word of God, authoritative in matters of faith and life. (2 Timothy 3:16-17, 1 Peter 1:20-21).
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Deuteronomy 6:4, 1 Timothy 1:17, Matthew 28:19-20).
- We believe in the deity and humanity of Christ (Philippians 2:6-8), in His virgin birth (Matthew 1:22-23), in His sinless life (Hebrews 4:15), in His miracles (John 22:24-25), in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood (Romans 5:8-9), in His bodily resurrection (John 20:25-29), in His ascension to the right hand of the Father (Philippians 2:9-11), in His present rule as Head of the Church (Colossians 1:18) and in His personal return in power and glory (1 Thessalonians 4:16).
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential (John 3:5, 2 Thessalonians 2:13, Titus 3:5).
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life (Galatians 5:16, Romans 8:9).
- We believe that all those who die in God’s grace through faith are assured eternal salvation; those who die in a state of sin and unbelief suffer the punishment of Hell (Ephesians 2:8, 2 Peter 2:4-10).
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, with equality across racial, gender, and class differences (Galatians 4:26-28).
- We believe that marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union (Genesis 2:18-25). We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other (Hebrews 13:4). We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including sex outside marriage, adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).
- We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God (Genesis 1:26-27). Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person.
- We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity. (Luke 6:31). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with the Scriptures (Proverbs 22:10; Romans 14:9).
This statement of faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, and is the sole and final source of all that we believe (2 Timothy 3:16). For purposes of MoezArt Production’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, our Board of Directors is MoezArt Production’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.
- Debra Lawrence - CEO - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cynthia Hellman - Education Director - email@example.com
- Natalie Ward - Production Manager/Props Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Susan Bailey - Administrative Assistant- email@example.com
- Lauren Erker - Community Theater Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rebeca Anvik - Social Media - email@example.com
- Brady Lawrence - Production Assistant - firstname.lastname@example.org
Timothy and Cynthia Hellman
Chairman of the Board (Timothy)
Timothy and Cynthia Hellman are the parents of 5 girls, 4 of whom are rabid enthusiastic MoezArt fans. Both have degrees in biblical studies and are leaders within the organic house church movement. Timothy works for Costco and did a stint teaching at Arizona Christian University. Cynthia is a stay at home mom, home educator, and coordinator for the Surprise Troop for American Heritage Girls.
MoezArt has a rich history of “Glorifying God through the Arts”. The arts is an amazingly powerful medium to convey truth, sacrifice, joy, sorrow, failure, redemption – the whole of the human experience in a way that is easily accessible, yet powerful. As Christians, our job is to illuminate the world with His truth, love, and grace. Our desire for MoezArt is to continue to be a shining light of God’s love, not only in its dramatic productions, but in the fostering of a community that is continuing to deepen their understanding how to glorify God through the arts.
Scott and Debra Lawrence
Board Member (Scott)
Scott and Debra have 4 children, all of whom have benefited from the dramatic and spiritual mentoring that MoezArt has provided. Scott is the Principal at a middle school and Debra is a homeschool mom who has also provided daycare to some amazing families over the last 22 years. As of April 2020, Debra is also the part-time CEO of MoezArt Productions.
Debra homeschools and provides daycare to families with limited daycare options.
Robert and Shamira van den Akker
Board Member (Robert)
Robert van den Akker has been a Christian since the age of 7, has been married to his wife, Shamira, for 25 years, and has two boys who have both been very active in MoezArt. Robert is a Manager for the City of Buckeye Public Works. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in Molecular and Microbiology and has been working in environmental compliance for more than 20 years. He has been a Board Member for a 501 C 3 organization, STORM, Stormwater Outreach for Regional Municipalities in Phoenix from 2012 – 2017. He is an active Board Member for the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) Solid Waste Technical Advisory Committee, and for the MAG Air Quality Technical Advisory Committee since 2015. Robert currently teaches a teen Bible study in his home.
Alan and Kathy Chick
Board Member (Alan)
Bio coming soon.
Brice and Leecel Schmidt
Board Member (Leecel)
Brice and Leecel Schmidt are the parents of 7 children, 5 girls and 2 boys. Their oldest 3 girls have been growing and thriving in MoezArt, making their younger siblings eager for their turn to join in the fun. Brice works as a field technician for Cox Communications which has allowed Leecel to come home full-time and homeschool their children for the last 12 years. The MoezArt family has been a tremendous blessing. They are thrilled to be able to serve this great community.
Randy and Janice Ryschon
Board Member (Randy)
Randy and Janice Ryschon have two daughters and one son. Randy is a software engineer and Janice is in her last year of Homeschooling. The whole family has benefited from all that MoezArt has to offer — Community Theater, youth classes, internships and directing. They are huge MoezArt fans and are honored to be part of the MoezArt family.
We are blessed with many volunteers who are using their gifts all over MoezArt. They can be found in the costume room, creating props, taking photos or shooting video, teaching classes, mentoring kids, or helping build sets. They are artists, painters, writers, sculptors, makeup artists, hairstylists, graphic artists, servers and so much more. We would not be able to continue to offer classes or shows to the community without the help of our volunteers.
If you are interested in using your gifts and abilities at Moezart, you can contact us at operations_manager@moezartproductionsorg or 623-252-8831.
Previous memories from past plays and events within the community
Our kids have grown so much in confidence, skill and character through MoezArt! I can’t say enough about the high standards for both quality of production and expectations from students. They make it fun, yet serious; challenging, yet inclusive; familial yet professional. I highly recommend MoezArt Productions to anyone looking for a quality show to attend, or anyone looking to develop their homeschooler’s talent, character and friendships.
MoezArt is fantastic! If you’re someone who loves to act or thinks it might be cool, sign up for a semester! The fall is a regular play and the spring is a musical (at least for Highschool and younger). If you’re a homeschool parent worried about your kids having enough friends or enough extracurriculars for college, sign them up! Some of my favorite Highschool/Jr. High memories and some of my best friends came from MoezArt.
Singing In The Rain
Questions and Answers
Where Are Your Classes Located?
- Northwest Valley group (formerly Surprise group)
- Southwest Valley group (formerly Avondale group)
- West Central Valley group (formerly South Glendale)
- North Central Valley group (formerly North Glendale)
- East Central Valley group (formerly North Phoenix)
- Southeast Valley group (formerly Chandler)
When Did You Get Started?
Sharon Rodriguez taught the first MoezArt drama class in 2002. Since then MoezArt has grown to 150 to 300 students per semester and a thriving community theater program.
What Is The Community Theatre Program?
MoezArt offers opportunities for adults to perform in several productions each year. Our shows are produced in the fall (October), winter (January and February) and spring (March) and include both musicals and non-musicals. We also have a summer musical that is open to both adults and children.
How Do I Audition For A Play?
We provide specific audition information for each of our community theatre productions under the Discover Programs tab in our main menu. We have three shows per year: our fall show, winter show and spring show. Our summer musical is open to our youth families and community theater participants.
How Does MoezArt Choose Its Shows?
Our Artistic Director and staff evaluate many scripts in the process of choosing what we will present in our youth classes and with our community theater group. We want to present material that is uplifting and glorifying to God. Our selections have included shows from amateur writers to Broadway musicals.
Does Each Youth Student Enrolled Get A Part?
Yes, we make sure we have parts for each student who enrolls in our youth classes. Students have an audition process at the beginning of the semester so the directors can determine the cast, and each student is given a role in the show.
Does MoezArt Have a Refund Policy for Youth Classes?
Yes. The business office must be informed in writing about the withdrawal of a student from class. Any refund will be calculated from the date the business office receives the intent to withdraw notification in writing. Should a student register for a class and withdraw either before the class begins or after the first class period, the student will forfeit the $30.00 non-refundable deposit. Should a student withdraw from a class after the first class period, 75% of the student’s tuition will be refunded. Should the withdrawal occur after the second class period, 50% of the student’s tuition will be refunded, and after the third class 25% of the student’s tuition will be refunded. After the fourth class period, no refund of any tuition amount will be given.